Monday, June 4, 2012

Rained In Goodbyes


Normally, I'm all for rain. The smells, the sounds and just the kind of undefinable sweetly melancholic feeling it stirs up inside one. But it has been raining for three consecutive days on Appledore now (and is going to rain all day tomorrow too) and the itch to get out of the Commons is killing me.

The view from the Commons. Or, rather, the lack of a view.
Of course, it didn't help that the storm came a-calling just when I was finally getting around to setting up playback experiments. I got two nests done on Friday, was feeling very good about it and excited to continue and get a ton of nests tested before the chicks hatch, and then I woke up on Saturday to iPod-killing weather that dashed all my dreams in the mud.

However, I have to admit, the weather is still beautiful. I went to check my nests yesterday when my antsy-ness got the better of me, and, after finishing up on Pepperell cove, a bit of rocky coast on the western shore, I just stood there for a couple of minutes, looking out over the sea, getting buffeted by gusts of sea-spray laden wind and watching the gulls swoop and soar gracefully with what looked like sheer exhilaration. One of those “this-is-why-I-am-here-and-nowhere-else” moments.

In other news, today is the last day of Field Ornithology and most of the class leaves today. We... were not able to break the Course Bird List record.. but we got really close and saw some amazing birds in the process. In the end, it is how much you appreciate, enjoy and understand the birds rather than how many birds you can brag about having seen. This was, hands down, one of the best classes I have ever taken, anywhere, and all of the people who are leaving today will be missed. However, I promise to keep this blog updated with news of how the gulls are doing (let me know if you have any specific nests you'd like me to keep track of!) and, very soon, post lots of adorable photos of fluffy, peeping chicks (If this weather lets up... grr...)!

Field Ornithology, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment